Friday, July 12, 2013

Pacific Rim (2013) Review

Remember being amazed in a theater while watching a movie? I do. It was the summer of 1993 when I saw Jurassic Park. I viewed that movie three times before it left theaters. To me it was a perfect movie. It was everything you could hope for. Today I got to see another movie that will be a defining experience in my film history. I got see aliens come from a portal in the ocean and battle against robots. It is also worth mentioning that these aliens are robots are around 280 feet tall. The tallest dinosaur was around 60 feet tall. That is a moving robot about 28 stories high. That scale is never diminished in Pacific Rim. You are always aware that this mechs are enormous.

One thing to love about the movie is the opening scene. We are brought up to speed on what has been going on in the world and what led to the designing of the giant mechs called Jaegers.These machines were built to stop the beasts known as the Kaiju from destroying the planet. These creatures pass through a portal on the floor of the Pacific Ocean. Once arriving they exit the water and wreak havoc on land. The Jaegers were the only things that could stop the Kaiju in a timely manner. They became the defenders. Then politics interferes they want to stop funding the Jaeger project and focus on building a wall along the coastlines to keep the Kaiju off of land. I am going to stop my synopsis right there. I haven't given a film a perfect score so far this year, but this movie truly won me over. It was the most fun I have had so far this year in the theaters. The effects are some of the best you will see. All fight scenes are choreographed well. You never get bored of watching these towering beasts crash together and fight.

Is seems so simple. Giant Robots fighting Giant Aliens. That was all it took to make a great movie. There is still so much to see this year, but you can't pass this one up. The dialogue is cheesy most of the time and the main character is extremely weak. Other characters in the film make up for his poor development. Check your head at the door and just go watch something you've never seen before. I am not high on Bay's Transformer's and this movie shows why. Giant robots hitting each other becomes boring and I had that problem with all three of those films. Here, Guillermo del Toro shows us that these types of fights can be made interesting if you know what you are doing and you know what the audience wants. I don't see you can go wrong with this film. It will fill a gap in you that you didn't know you had. We didn't know we wanted this until del Toro put it out for us to see. Now, I have tasted epic and I want more!

No comments:

Post a Comment