Thursday, July 4, 2013

Fritz Lang's M (1931) Review

Fritz Lang's M is impossible not to enjoy. This film could come out in the theaters today and still be relevant. I couldn't help but watch his camera techniques and marvel over how he shoots this film. I realized my viewing of the movie was not enough. It wasn't until after trying to recount events in the movie to my wife that I started to appreciate it even more. Lang always get me guessing as to what was coming next. I didn't know what to expect, but I always liked what I saw. Based on true events in Dusseldorf, M is about a city's reaction to a child murderer being on the loose. The climactic scene in the movie is something to truly behold. Lang clearly has feelings about the German justice system and this movie would also work today in an American town, putting the American justice system in question. Peter Lorre is great in his performance. He rarely speaks, but uses facial expressions masterfully. Perhaps in the end you feel sympathy for M, or perhaps you still want to grab the rope. Either way, for 1931, this film is way ahead of its time and deserves your utmost attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment